Half-moon shape Rice Cake | 송편
Songpyeon are half-moon-shaped rice cakes that contain different kinds of sweet or semi-sweet fillings, such as sesame seeds and honey, sweet red bean paste, and chestnut paste steamed over a layer of pine needles, which gives them the fragrant smell of fresh pine trees.
500 g (5 cups) short-grain rice powder
2.5 g mugwort powder
7 g (gardenia 2 g + water 25 g) gardenia soaked water
9 g (strawberry powder 1 g + water 8 g) strawberry powder liquid
1 g cinnamon powder
50 g fresh green bean
1 g (¼ teaspoons) salt
30 g sesame seeds
9.5 g (½ tablespoons) honey
12 g (1 tablespoon) sugar
0.5 g (⅛ teaspoons) salt
30 g geopi-pat (dark blue, thin skin sweet bean)
14 g (⅔ tablespoons) honey
1 g (¼ teaspoons) salt
0.6 g cinnamon powder
300 g pine needles13 g (1 tablespoon) sesame oil
13 g (1 tablespoon) sesame oil
1. Halve the gardenia, soak in water for 30 minutes to make gardenia soaked water. Mix strawberry powder with water to make strawberry powder liquid.
2. Sprinkle salt on the rice powder and sieve. Divide it into 5 parts. Mix each part of rice powder with each coloring stuff. Sieve.
3. Sprinkle salt on the fresh green bean and set aside. Grind half of the fried sesame seeds, mix with honey, sugar and salt together. Set aside.
4. Wash the geopi-pat and soak them in 7 parts volume of water for 8 hours. Skin by rubbing before rinsing in water, (60 g).
5. Rinse pine needles in water and drain water.
1. Knead each colored rice powder with hot water with strong force for long time.
2. Boil water for steaming. Layer damp cotton cloths on the bottom of the pot. Put the geopi-pat in the pot and steam for 25 minutes. Mix geopi-pat with salt and sieve, then mix with honey, salt and cinnamon powder thoroughly.
3. Pull off around 15~16 g of rice powder dough, roll it into a small ball and make a dent in the center. Put the fillings in and close up the edges and make it into a half-moon shape.【Photo 3】
4. Boil water for steaming.When it boils, layer pine needles on the bottom. Place the shaped rice cake and steam for 20 minutes on high heat.
5. Take out the steamed rice cake and quickly run through cold water. Remove the pine needles, drain water and coat with sesame oil.
Cover dough with wet clothes to prevent drying.
Dough should be knead with hot water only.